Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer seminar | Students' assays: Part IV



My experiences from Summer seminar
by Morgan Samuel

It was intimidating and exciting to be in the same room with so many people practicing Aikido.
The first day I held on for dear life. Feeling out how things would work. Learning a new vocabulary of practice. I did not move too far up into hakama territory but did get to take ukemi from one of the Sensei.


The second day I felt a bit more outgoing and followed Lee Sensei's advice to move out of the corners and practice with the Yodansha students. I could feel the difference. Not to say the practicing with the unbelted students was not good but it is different. Besides having to sit out of the last class, it was a very good day. I also found watching the Dan tests to be very inspiring. To see what happens when individuals dedicate sthemselves to the study of aikido and what they can achieve was very motivating.


The third day was the most fun and rewarding for me. I had found my groove and a small level of self confidence to move through the crowd. I especially enjoyed the class on Kihon, which I had to look up when I got back to the apartment that night. So Kihon means basic or basics. It offered great perspective on how to do things correctly

in both etiquette and technique and why we do it that way. I really liked the explanation about what the non-attacking hand should be doing in Yokomenuchi (one-hand side attack).


The one thing I notice the most from the seminar was the way my body had learned to move in aikido. Sunday afternoon when I got back to the apartment, I noticed that my body was moving differently, especially after the class about kihon. My wive, Jasmine, her sister and husband asked me each day about the techniques that we learned so I

would show they what I could without dropping people. While doing this, I could feel things that had once been difficult or caused me to hesitate come easier, flow smoother. I just thought it very interesting how much my body had learned without me knowing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment