Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer seminar | Students' assays: Part V

Seminar Expectations
by Don Schuette

Let me start by saying that I attended my first seminar as an unranked Aikido student who had only a month of practice under my belt. Now, almost two years and several seminars later, I thought I knew what to expect this time. I was wrong.

For the first time, I was not nervous as I drove up I-5 toward Berkeley. I knew what was ahead. My collarbone injury hadn't bothered me for a couple of weeks. I looked forward to seeing familiar faces and practicing with new people. Friday sessions were a great. Everyone was practicing with good energy and intensity.

Saturday morning arrived and so did the soreness. Everything was going good until we started practicing Sankyo. After a couple of pins, the collarbone started popping and cracking. Okay, I told myself to take it easy on that side. After another 10 minutes, I had to make a decision. Do I push through and risk re-injury, or sit out? 5 more minutes and I knew what I had to do.

Sitting on the sidelines was just as painful. I wanted to be out there learning, adapting and evolving. That is why I practice Aikido. But I thought sitting out a few classes is better than re-injury and sitting out another month or two. That's when my attitude changed and I began to refocus.

I stopped feeling sorry for myself and started concentrating on what was happening on the mat. Watching the Sensei instruct the classes and the subsequent practice revealed nuances that I had not noticed before. I felt the energy emanating from the mat. I discovered I could still benefit from the practice as long as I was willing to engage as best I could.

Driving back home, I realized that I should never have assumed what to expect from a seminar, or even regular practice. Leave expectations at the door and accept whatever happens. As Aikido teaches us, we should blend with what comes at us and always engage. These are great concepts we can apply in all areas of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment