Sunday, May 17, 2009

The blessing of changes



Most of my life I had great resistance to changes. So when we found out that the Los Angeles School District is planning to build an elementary school at the current Dojo location, I felt uneasy. Although we were getting information in the mail about the process, and meeting with our relocation officer, I still preferred not to think much about it.

Now, we are at one of the ending stages of the relocation process; we found a new space, we are preparing to sign a lease, and are brainstorming about the design and construction of the new Dojo. Now, we put our resistance aside, as well as the inconvenience, the fears and concerns. We ignite our creativity and sharpen our pencils, we bring about our vision and heart.

I envision a community of people of all ages; who are taking on a practice that is a source of empowerment in their lives. People who enjoy the process of learning, and willingly exchange their energy and gifts with others. I see a wider outreach within the community; a teen-power group, that besides working hard at their practice is active in volunteering, and kids who understand that "we are all in it together". Young adults and seniors who train for their well being as well as the well being of their surroundings. A community that is caring and sharing, that is aware and evolving.

This is an opportunity that was born from an unexpected change. Like in any birth there will be pains, like at any birth the change is encompassing a promise, a blessing. One that we are awaiting to embrace.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Lee,
    I hope to visit your new dojo some day. Wishing you a wonderful new step. In my old dojo there was a sign at the enterance. It said "smile".

    You write beautifuly. I am always looking forward to your new blog posts and other writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, the moment has arrived, and we are signing the lease for the new Dojo space tomorrow. We hope the new space will indeed bring many smiles to many faces, and will touch many hearts.
    I can already see, in my mind's eye, practicing with both of you at the new Dojo.
    Thanks, Ze'ev and Roger.

    ReplyDelete