Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lessons I learn from my blind students | Lesson 2


During last week's class at Junior Blind I noticed the way my students are paying attention. It seems like there is a fundamental difference between the sighted students, the partially sighted, and the blind. Although the sighted and partially sighted students can actually see what is demonstrated, they were easily distracted. I watched the blind's way of paying attention; they are more concentrated and attuned with what is around them. They look like they are "listening with their whole body".

Lately I've been trying to see things without staring at the details. Sometimes I narrow my eyes and my vision become somewhat blurry - I then feel a new level of alertness and a different kind of attention arising. We can train ourselves to choose what we take in and what to leave out. We can "listen" and not just "look" at the demonstration, get more information on the "feeling of the technique", rather than just trusting our mind's translation of what is seen.

"There is more than meets the eye..."

No comments:

Post a Comment