Saturday, December 6, 2008

Looking for the flair


Recently I was approached by one of my students that told me he liked a particular class I taught that week. I usually stick to basic techniques. I believe they show the best way to development of a strong base for beginners. I usually avoid complicated variations with much flair. Though seem somewhat less exciting - I feel the basics will provide my students with a better soil, that can then sprout into a deeper knowledge and understanding of Aikido. The class my student was referring to was a different one though; one in which I moved away from my habit, and showed more complex and challenging variations. I could see the excitement in my students' eyes: "Yes! something new!".

At this conversation, I mentioned to my student some of O'Sensei's words: "In your training, do not be in a hurry, for it takes a minimum of ten years to master the basics and advance to the first rung. Never think of yourself as an all-knowing, perfected master; you must continue to train daily with your friends and students and progress together in the Art of Peace." More basics, I said to him, is better for us all.

O'Sensei's words kept echoing within me, reminding me to stick to simplicity, rather then to flair and grandiosity. A reminder that a daily and ongoing practice should never end. My teacher is a perfect example to that. Decades of Aikido, and still keeping his daily training. His example is a glowing torch, and to its light I follow.

Here is a demonstration of Ikkyo, the very basic of basics, by the current Doshu, Moriteru Ueshiba.



Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
~Leonardo DaVinci

No comments:

Post a Comment