Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Time to smell the roses


Being in a rush and feeling hurried has been part of daily life for most of us. Is it created by the abundance, or maybe the clutter we have in our life? Maybe it is the hunger for more stuff, new activities and greater stimulation? Do we really get to choose about taking the time to smell the roses? How important is it anyway?

Ten years ago I had quite a few things going on, all at the same time, yet, looking at my life nowadays, it seems like I have even more on my plate - running a business, practicing and teaching Aikido everyday, as well as having a family and a home to take care of. I've noticed that it is not always necessary for me to make a special time slot for relaxation, meditation or a quiet walk. In most cases I just have to allow myself a little more time, a few more minutes; then, I slow down and see what is around me, and simply have the time to enjoy it. Whether I water the garden, or walk my daughter to school - it is nice to have the time to look around and appreciate; listen to a hawk calling, examine a snail from up close with my child, or feel the warm rays of sun on my skin.

This little extra time helps us - allows us to be more present and aware, as well to handle unexpected situations better. This is something we see in the Dojo as well. One student arrives around fifteen or twenty minutes before class starts, changes at ease, goes onto the mat, stretches or practices rolls, maybe helps other students, sits quietly, or in meditation, until it is time for class to begin. The other, enters three minutes before the beginning of class, changes in a hurry and steps onto the mat at the very last minute, just as soon as the teacher does.

On the surface, there seems to be no difference between the two. They both arrived on time to class, and got to practice. On an internal level - the first student, allowed himself to be prepared for class. He is ready, both physically and mentally and will not need much of an adjustment time. The other, was basically "thrown into" the class, and will take some of the class time to center, focus, and to come out of the rushed mode he is in (sometimes without success). I have to admit I've been in both scenarios. We often hear the term "Martial sense" and I believe that readiness is one of its facets. Whether we are outside, smelling the roses, or getting ready for class - we choose whether to be in this space of awareness or not.

Being ready and present in the moment is our choice.
The time to smell the roses is usually in our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment